It all began one evening in 1956 as a group of men, who had been attending a Ministry of Public, Buildings and Works Exhibition on Tyneside, found themselves on the seafront at Whitley Bay.
There they vowed to extend the goodwill they enjoyed at the exhibition by creating something to unite and benefit the entire industry. Among them was Eddie Ward. He instigated the formation of a new Club for the construction industry.
That evening at Whitley Bay he considered what name to give the Club whose aim would be ‘the furtherance of good fellowship among people in the construction industry. Illuminating the gathering that night was St. Mary’s Light: the lighthouse that has since become symbol of guidance and hope for families of construction workers.
Soon after its foundation, The Lighthouse Club members introduced the Lighthouse Club Benevolent Fund. Eddie Ward Secretary-General of the Original Club for thirty years. His hard work and dedication rightfully earned him an MBE.
Originally, the UK registered charity offered aid and assistance to construction workers who suffered accident or illness by providing Christmas humpers. The club’s first National Dinner to raise money for its beneficiaries, was in a room above a pub in London’s Whitehall. Now the Club regularly attracts hundreds of guests to various venues around the world and has provided help and distributed many millions of Dollars to construction workers and their families all over the world at the time when they have needed it most.